*Disclaimer – Outrageously Girly Post*
There is nothing more gratifying than online shopping. (Told ya.)
In the old days, before you could do absolutely anything from finding a husband to diagnosing your own illness in front of a computer screen, time for shopping needed to be set aside. Now, don’t get me wrong, I fully enjoy time spent dedicated to shopping, be it an hour or an entire Saturday – I never tire of spending money. (Which proves to be a problem, eventually, especially when it’s the latter timeframe.) But sometimes, putting aside enough time for this splendid activity can be difficult. Everyone is always so busy! Shopping could be an after-work activity, but often, things stand in the way. Either we’re too tired from the workday, or have other plans that just can’t be cancelled, like dentist appointments, or Happy Hour. Weekends are good times to shop, but I usually feel guilty spending a beautiful, sunny day in the mall when I could be doing things outside, and if it’s crappy weather, I usually prefer sleeping late, staying in sweatpants all day, and catching up on whatever reality TV show I’m currently obsessing over.
Alas! Online shopping is the solution for the overcommitted or the tired or the lazy everywhere! In less than half the time, you can browse your favorite store’s merchandise and throw everything you love into a (virtual) shopping cart. It’s genius! It’s exciting! It’s chic! It’s easy! It’s dangerous! It’s fun!
Other reasons I love online shopping:
- I don’t feel as cheap immediately redirecting to the “Sale” or “Clearance” sections – no one is there to judge me but myself.
- No need to deal with annoying sales people checking to see if they have any more in your size. Chances are they’ll just tell you on the site! So proactive!
- Also eliminates awkward interactions with retail employees. “Have you tried our new jeans?” If I say no, you’ll tell me to try them. If I say yes, you’ll smile like you actually care. Flashback to my days working at Hollister Co….. I shutter to recall.
- No need to try on the clothes before purchase. A true shopper knows her size in most of these stores. Less experienced shoppers need not fear – reading the reviews of a product will tell you if it’s true to size, or whether or not you should order a size bigger/smaller.
- Most offer free shipping on return products, or at least allow you to return it to a store.
- Say goodbye to carrying around all those bags on your arms! Boyfriends everywhere should be eternally grateful for the option to shop online.
- COUPON CODES!! You can almost always find a coupon code somewhere online to give you either free shipping or a percentage off your order.
- You can multi-task while doing it. You can check your bank statement between purchases to make sure you won’t overdraft, Facebook chat your friends and send them links to decide between the beige boots or the black boots (thanks Daniella for the help last week – glad I went with beige), or browse RetailMeNot.com for (#7 above) coupon codes.
But truly, the real reason I online shop is the surprise and true joy I experience when a package arrives in the mail. Chances are I probably forgot that I ordered something, and so when a pretty box arrives, addressed to me, I love to rip it open like it’s a present on Christmas morning. Sometimes I even write myself little notes on my orders, so that I’ll also get a little card that reads, “Surprise! Bet you forgot you ordered this! You’re gonna look great on Friday in this new skirt! Love ya!” and it really makes my day.
So thank you, Internet, for making something that was already the easiest thing in the world to do, even easier.